My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Your's, Mine and Ours

I wonder why we feel jealousy instead of joy when we hear of friends (or strangers) receiving good things? Is it because we have a 'why not me' attitude? A long time ago, 10 years or so, I recognized this trait in a friend. Any time someone would be blessed, even in the smallest way, this friend would say things like "Must be nice" or "what did you do to deserve that?". Never saying they were happy for them or that it was wonderful for them. It's a very petty attitude. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Then, I started recognizing it in myself. I don't think I ever spoke the feelings out loud, but sometimes I know I'd be jealous, and thought those things. Is there any difference between thinking them and saying them? No. The Word tells us in Proverbs 23:7 ~ for as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.
It didn't happen overnight, but I changed my way of thinking. I can honestly say when friends or strangers are blessed that I am joyful for them...and I tell them so. I, in turn, am blessed. When I honestly feel that joy for them, I am sharing in that joy. That change in heart, that change in attitude, changed my life. I refuse to feel jealous of others blessings, it's not of God. I rejoice instead, and I can tell you with every fiber of this being, it's a much better place to be.

Father,
I thank You for the blessings of others. I thank You, Lord, that I can share in their joy as I share in their sorrow. I thank You, Lord, for removing that spirit of jealousy from me and for the strength it takes to rebuke it when it tries to find a place in me. You are my joy, and I do not need or desire the things of this world to give me a temporary joy. You are my eternal joy, I dwell in You. I thank You for my many blessings. You have not only given me the desires of my heart, but allowed me to walk in the joy of others as they are blessed. You are a mighty, loving Father and I take my pleasure in You. I ask that You would forgive me of my mistakes today. Show me Your way today. I pray that I will follow the leading and guiding of Your Holy Spirit in all that I do today. In the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, Amen.