My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Servants

Many, many years ago, Mark and I lived next door to a precious Christian family. Now, Mark and I were going to church every Sunday, following the Word in every way that we were aware of and yet, still, we were having a lot of problems come our way. This was before children, so at least 18 years ago. Our car quit, our air conditioner went out in the middle of the Texas summer, I was having serious health problems and we didn't have any medical insurance. If there was ever a 'woe is me' situation, that was one of them.
The husband of our Christian family next door came over while Mark was outside one day, and told Mark, point blank, that we were not right with God. Mark was instantly offended. But, our neighbor didn't point his finger at Mark, he didn't say it with a mightier than thou attitude, in fact, he said it in love, with concern and with kindness.
I began praying for God to show me where we were failing Him. After awhile, Mark, too, started praying with me that God would reveal to us where we were failing Him. It wasn't long before Mark and I, both, came to realize where we were falling short in our walk with the Father. We asked Him to show us, and He did.
When Mark and I told each other what had been revealed to us, and it was the same area, we first asked for forgiveness and then we changed that area of our lives. Mark also asked our neighbor to forgive him and thanked him for his obedience to God, because it couldn't have been easy to approach Mark and tell him what God had instructed him to.
Things didn't change that very moment for us, but our attitudes changed, and steadily our situation improved.

Sometimes when we are lost in our own dry desert, God will send us someone to point us toward an oasis. It's up to us whether or not we will listen. It's up to us whether or not we will follow directions. It's up to us whether or not we will accept what is graciously available to us, or if we will die of thirst because of our own stubbornness and pride.

Father,
I constantly fall short of the person I want to be, and I ask You to forgive me for my errors, my shortcomings, my stubbornness and my pride. I thank You for Your grace that covers me, and for Your Son, my salvation.
I thank You, Lord, for those here among us who will risk ridicule to follow Your lead. I thank You, for their heart and obedience. I pray, Father, that I, too, will be strong enough to follow Your directions, when so instructed, regardless of the personal sacrifice or however much it may be out of my comfort zone.
I love You. I trust You. I surrender to You. In Christ's name I pray, Amen.