My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, April 14, 2006

Two Roads

The Word tells us about the wide and the narrow roads in life. This is one of the hardest lessons to learn, and it's one of the hardest to teach. If I angst over trying to teach it to two teenage boys, imagine the Father with trying to teach it to all of His children. I wonder if there is a supernatural strength Tylenol.
Anyway, the wider the road we take, the easier the choices are to make. Likewise, the narrower the road, the harder the choices are to make. The choice of roads to take is ours, however only one road leads to life eternal with the Father. It's hard, help me lord, it's so hard. That wide road is so inviting, no hills or valleys, none of those pesky little rocks in the road, just gorgeous scenery on a perfect slow and easy Sunday type of drive kind of road. This is the road we take in life when we want to have it all now, enjoy all the pleasures this world has to offer and not have to bother with any of the consequences. Unfortunately, those consequences are huge.
That narrow road? It's got scenery, scenery of those in need, of those hurting, of those who are lonely. It's got the hills and valleys that make our muscles ache to walk it. The narrow road has those little rocks that are so easy to stumble over if we don't watch where we're going. This is the road we take when we let the Father's original 'On-Star' guide us, when we admit we're lost and ask for directions. This is the road we take when it's not the journey that is important to us, but the destination we're wanting to arrive at. The destination that puts the journey of the wide road to shame. The destination that makes every ache, every stumble, and every stop along the way to aid those on the side of the road, worth it. It's that destination that I'm traveling towards, the journey is just the means to get there. I'm made of what it takes to travel that narrow road.

Father,
Please forgive me of my sins this morning. I lay my wrongs at Your feet, I give this heavy load to You, Lord, for my sins weigh me down and I can not stand with them on my back.
I thank You for the road you've set before me. I walk it with joy. I know, Father, that the road to take is mine to choose, and I choose the road that leads me to You. I wear every bruise, every scrape and every tear with a humble heart and with joy. I have seen glimpses of my destination, Lord, and nothing along the way can keep me from reaching it. I know that You walk beside me every step of the way. I do not make this journey alone, unless I choose to. You are with me, Your angels protect me and Your Holy Spirit is always 'On-Call'. If I need to stop and rest, You will not go on without me, but allow me to lay my head upon Your lap to rest. With all that I am, I will follow Your path for me. Your destination is my focus in life, and I thank You for friends and company that walk with me from time to time.
In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.